Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Avengers - Briefly what I thought of the movie


So I went to see the Avengers in theatres about a week or two ago, and if anyone hasn't watched it, it's worth a watch when it comes out on video.
There is not a lot of story (which is probably the best way to put major hero names into the title) and they didn't include Spiderman or Wolverine, but they did great with what they had. And hey, after Spiderman 2 and 3, I think if they included Spiderman I'd refuse to watch it. What little story there is is based on the premis that Loki (Thor's brother) steals a super powerful energy source (the name escapes me) and is going to use it to open a portal to bring forth an army to conquer Earth. S.H.I.E.L.D. Gathers together superheroes to capture Loki.
At first they didn't know what to make of Thor and an epic battle ensued, there was some bickering amongst the troops but they managed to pull it together and work as a team to fend off total doom. Standard superhero plot, really.
What made The Avengers stand out to me was that they didn't try and bog it down with backstory for each character, instead they drew from each characters respective movies. This means they have a lot more time for ass kicking and high action. (Unlike Green Lantern which was a good movie but at least 60% buildup) Each character was unique and followed the personalities set down in the previous movies nicely, Thor was a little arrogant, Captain America was out of touch, Iron Man was a dick, Hulk was good at smashing stuff. Now, I haven't seen Iron Man or Captain America (but now I want to) but I have to say they made good use of previous characters introduced in Thor, and possibly ones from Iron Man and Captain America, running on assumption for those two of course. This continuity made me feel like I already related to a lot of the minor characters, there was already some familiarity there meaning more room for action and less for introductions.
The problems I had with the movie were pretty minor. I've heard some people complaining that it was basically Iron Man 3. Well of course the obnoxious character is going to stand out like a sore thumb. They really did not try and center the movie around him. Hulk was way too controlled, nobody should be able to order The Hulk around, he's unreasonable. They had to do it that way though, otherwise it would turn into a comedy with the Hulk just kicking everyone's ass. Another problem I had with the movie was the 3D. I haven't watched a lot of movies in 3D, my first 3D movie was Thor, and that was amazing, but the way they're going about it now, the 3D is so mediocre I had to take my 3D glasses off just to remind me that the movie is in 3D. Why do I want to spend the extra money for something that's hardly even noticeable?
To sum it up, great high action movie, anyone who liked Iron Man, Thor and Captain America will love this movie. Torrent it, rent it, buy it, whatever you do with movies, but make sure you get it in HD, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment